Access Services | Interlibrary Loan Services
Interlibrary Loan Services
Interlibrary Loan is not intended to serve as a replacement for funding and developing your own library.
- Interlibrary Loan Procedures
- Reporting Statistics
- School Libraries ILL
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States
- Interlibrary Loan Policies
updated July 2015
As part of the justification for expenditure of federal FSTA funds, all SD libraries that participate within the SD Library and Minitex Courier service are requested to submit this report monthly (July 1 to June 30 cumulation).
Interlibrary Loan Procedures
Requesting an item via South Dakota Share-It
South Dakota Share-It ILL Procedures
Updated July 2016
South Dakota Share-It ILL Blank Form
Updated July 2016
Reporting Interlibrary Loan Statistics
As part of the justification for expenditure of federal LSTA funds, all SD libraries that participate either as nodes within the SD Library Courier service or as nodes with direct communication to MINITEX are requested to submit this report monthly & annually (July 1 through June 30 cumulation). Forms Updated December 2011
In order to determine ILL patterns and trends the State Library needs more exact data. These forms are for collecting monthly data. The data will be reported on the yearly School and Public Library Survey. Form Updated March 2013
School Libraries ILL
Interlibrary Loan through State Library
School libraries are limited to 20 active ILL requests at one time.
Use this pathfinder to help guide your decisions in helping students and staff find resources.
Interlibrary Loan Policy Examples
- Northwest Regional Library Policy
- Brookings Public Library policy handbook and
- Huron Public Library policy handbook.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a limit on how many interlibrary loan requests school libraries may have?
- Yes, school libraries have a limit of 20 active ILL requests at one time.
- Public libraries have a limit of 200 ILL requests per year.
- Can I order multiple copies of the same title?
- No, the State Library will not process requests for multiple copies of the same title.
- Is it possible to interlibrary loan an ebook?
- Ebooks cannot be interlibrary loaned between libraries.
- I work at a school. Can students or teachers place ILL requests?
- No, only designated staff may place ILL requests.
- How long does an ILL take?
- 1-3 weeks depending on if it is an in-state or out-of-state request
- How can I keep track of my requests?
- Login to SD Share-It, click your name, view "Items from Other Libraries"
- Who is responsible when things go wrong?
- The borrowing library is responsible for all materials.
- Does the State Library still lend materials?
- Yes, but only items from our collection.
- Are there options other than using ILL to obtain materials?
- Yes! The State Library databases have many eBook titles and articles available full text. Call the SDSL for free training!
- Can I request a new title?
- No. As a general rule, libraries will not loan new titles. You should be purchasing these for your own collection.
- If I have an overdue ILL, can I still request more ILL's?
- No. The State Library will not process any new requests until overdues are returned to the lending library.
- What if my patron loses an ILL book, or refuses to return it?
- Your patron needs to pay for the material. If you cannot collect from your patron, then your library needs to settle the bill for the lost material. The State Library will not process new ILL requests until the matter is settled.
South Dakota's Libraries
For addresses, go to the SD Library Directory
More CE Events