Interlibrary Loan Procedural Changes
Effective October 1, 2011:
All libraries will use the ALEPH ILL subsystem to request materials that are available in-state.
- To expedite the process:
- Patron Initiated Inter-Library Loans in 10 Easy steps
- Requesting an item from out-of-state (WorldCat)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- South Dakota's Libraries
Handout of Procedural Changes: PDF Download
To expedite the process:
- Please send lending libraries self-addressed labels as a courtesy.
- Please return borrowed materials as instructed by lending library.
- When receiving items remember to inspect them at arrival and let lending library know of any damages right away.
Patron Initiated Inter-Library Loans in 10 Easy steps (Aleph)
- Enter the SDLN Catalog
- Enter the SDLN's Traditional Catalog
- Sign in using your library barcode and password. Choose the South Dakota State Library as your library
- Choose “All SDLN Libraries”
- Option: You can click on “Global Holdings” to see what libraries hold the item you are interested in.
- Click on the title to access the full record
- Click on the InterLibrary Loan link at the top right
- Choose your delivery method
- Choose your delivery deadline
- In-state requests need 7 days of lead time
- Out-of-state requests need at least 20 days of lead time
- Check the copyright statement agreement at the bottom
- Click “GO”
- You will get a confirmation page
- Keep a paper copy for your records
Using “My Library Card” on Aleph
- Canceling a request
- Checking the progress of an ILL
- Request an item not found in Aleph
- Request an article
Requesting an article (Aleph)
- Click on “My Library Card”
- Click “InterLibrary Loan Form” in the top right corner
- Choose “Journal” on the right
- Fill in as much information as possible
Requesting an item from out-of-state
- Click on the WorldCat icon (to the right)
- Enter your SDSL barcode number and password
- Click on “My Account” and log in again using your SDSL barcode number and password again
- *If this is your first time in WorldCat you will need to register
My Requests (WorldCat)
- View all ILL requests
- View status of ILL requests
- Cancel or renew material if the option is given
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does an ILL take?
- In-state/Aleph: about 1 week.
- Out-of-state/WorldCat: about 3 weeks
- Where is my ILL request going?
- In-state/Aleph: directly to the lending library.
- Out-of-state/WorldCat: through the State Library
- How can I keep track of my requests?
- Your accounts in Aleph or WorldCat online; but keep a paper copy also.
- Who is responsible when things go wrong?
- The borrowing library is responsible for all materials.
- Does the State Library still lend materials?
- Yes, but only items from our collection.
South Dakota's Libraries
For addresses, go to the SD Library Directory
For individual library policies (as available) review SDLN: Member Libraries (“ILL Policy” links are on the far right column).
LSTA Five Year Plan
Did You Know...
An alternative way to access the Library Catalog is by logging into your ECardPlus. If you don't have a card, that's OK — just click "Guest" and you can search any SDLN Library's catalog.
More CE Events