Library Outreach/ LSTA | Statistics
- Census Information
- Counting Opinions Reports Tool
- Data Digest Extras
- Public Libraries Statistics
- Library Value Calculator
- School Libraries Statistics
- Reporting Statistics (ILL, Courier)
Whether you are writing a grant or justifying a budget request, current census data is often needed. The following sites will provide current data. If additional assistance is needed, call the State Library and ask to speak with Research.
- U.S. Census Bureau
- School District Demographics System: Census 2000
U.S. Department of Education Institute of Education Sciences: National Center for Education Statistics
- Children's Defense Fund
Child Research Data & Publications
Public Libraries Statistics
The annual South Dakota Public Libraries Survey collects statistics from South Dakota's public libraries using sd.countingopinions.com . Data is submitted at the state level (see Data Digests) and at the federal level to the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
What can I do with my Public Library Survey Statistics?
- Calculate your library's Return on Investment. Use your library's service statistics and this easy-to-use ROI calculator tool to show the value your community gets from every dollar spent on the public library.
- Share your library's statistics in an annual report pamphlet available on the PLS portal. Download the pamphlet file, add your photos, your library logo & open hours. How do I do this?
- Compare your library's statistics with other SD public libraries. Libraries use PLS comparison statistics to increase their budgets, request larger spaces, longer open hours, more staff, etc.
How do I access PLS statistics for other libraries?
The State Library makes the data available for use by South Dakota public librarians and their stakeholders. If you want to know more or would like help accessing and analyzing your library's data contact State Library Data Coordinator, Shawn Behrends , 605-773-3131 (Option 6).
Review the latest Public Libraries Survey data for individual libraries:
- SD Public Libraries Survey Statistics FY2014 Public Libraries-2014
- Per Capita Statistics FY2014 Per Capita Statistics - Public Libraries Survey 2014
- Investments and Use - 2-year Comparison Investments and Use - 2013-2014 Comparison
South Dakota Public Libraries: Data Digest
The South Dakota State Library has compiled an annual report of public library statistics that librarians can use as talking points with their citizens, councilmen, commissioners, and legislators. For current and past reports, continue to Publications.
Library Use Calculator
What's your local library worth? Estimate the value of books, media, programs and services your library provides. Share this tool with your patrons, trustees and commissioners. Link to this the calculator from your library's webpage.
Library Use Calculator
School Libraries Statistics
The 2015-2016 School Library Survey will be open April 1 through May 13, 2016. There is no need to wait until the last day of school to complete the survey.
Only one survey per district is needed.
School librarians, you'll find the survey at https://sd.countingopinions.com. Your login/password are the same as last year.
If you have questions, please first review our School Library Survey: Frequently Asked Questions.
Contact Joan Upell, email if you have further questions or need login/password assistance..
South Dakota School Libraries: Data Digest
This publication is a snapshot and summary of statistical school library information harvested each spring from every district in the state. For current and past reports, continue to Publications.
Counting Opinions Reports Tool
For all South Dakota public library directors, school librarians and administrators…
You now have access to Public Libraries Survey and School Libraries Survey data through the Counting Opinions Reports tool. This easy but powerful tool can help you analyze your library's data for trends across time and compare your library's data to others in the State.
Access the Reports tool at the online survey site: sd.countingopinions.com
Learn the basics of using the Reports tool and building reports:
- How to access the reports tool and create a report
- Using Report Types
- Using filters to sort and drill down
As part of the justification for expenditure of federal FSTA funds, all SD libraries that participate within the SD Library and Minitex Courier service are requested to submit this report monthly (July 1 to June 30 cumulation).
As part of the justification for expenditure of federal LSTA funds, all SD libraries that participate either as nodes within the SD Library Courier service or as nodes with direct communication to MINITEX are requested to submit this report monthly & annually (July 1 through June 30 cumulation).
In order to determine ILL patterns and trends the State Library needs more exact data. For this reason starting with the Public Library Survey—’12 (collected in the spring of 2013) we will be collecting more detailed information. These forms are for you to begin to collect monthly data starting in January of 2012.
The South Dakota State Library is excited to share with all South Dakota public libraries access to "Short Takes for Trustees" a series of 10 short videos for you and your Trustees to view through March, 2017.
More CE Events