For Immediate Release: Friday, January 13, 2012
Contact: Mary Stadick Smith, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-7228, firstname.lastname@example.org
South Dakota public libraries recognized for accreditation efforts
PIERRE, S.D. — Fourteen South Dakota libraries were accredited by the South Dakota State Library in 2011, under a new system of tiered accreditation. This is the second year the new system of accreditation has been in place. The libraries were recognized during the State Library Board meeting today.
Public libraries are accredited at one of three levels: Essential, Enhanced or Exemplary. Accreditation at the Essential level means a library satisfactorily provides the basic services required by state law and federal guidelines. Each subsequent level of accreditation builds on the previous level with additional indicators that libraries must meet. Exemplary is the highest level of service.
Libraries are evaluated in the following areas, as outlined in South Dakota Public Library standards: governance, administration, access, collections and resources, funding, staffing, technology, and public relations. The three levels of accreditation are based on the number of indicators achieved in each of the standards.
“This new system of accreditation opens communication about what libraries can be doing and ways to improve,” said South Dakota State Librarian Dan Siebersma. “It provides concrete feedback, so we can better support them as they work toward a higher level of accreditation.”
The following South Dakota public libraries were accredited in 2011 by the South Dakota State Library:
- Alcester Public Library, Enhanced
- Beresford Public Library, Enhanced*
- Cozard Memorial Library, Chamberlain, Enhanced
- Canton Public Library, Enhanced
- Carnegie Public Library, Dell Rapids, Enhanced
- Gregory Public Library, Essential*
- Grant County Public Library, Enhanced*
- Hot Springs Public Library, Enhanced
- Madison Public Library, Enhanced
- Potter County Library, Enhanced*
- Phoebe Apperson Hearst Library, Lead, Essential
- Siouxland Libraries, Sioux Falls, Enhanced*
- Grossenburg Memorial Tripp County Library, Winner, Enhanced*
- Yankton Community Library, Enhanced*
Detailed requirements for each level of tiered accreditation, as well as a complete list of accredited libraries, is available on the South Dakota State Library's webpage at www.library.sd.gov.
Five librarians graduate from Library Training Institute
posted Friday, June 24, 2016
State Library Board
July 7, 2016, Pierre
More CE Events