Volume 2, Issue 11
Check Your Calendars!!
SD Library Snapshot Day
October 31-November 6, 2010
National Novel Writing Month
Native American Heritage Month
National Gaming Day
November 13, 2010
ALA Midwinter Meeting
January 7-11, 2011
South Dakota Student Media Fair
Entry Deadline February 2, 2011
Task Force invites comments on revised school library guidelines
The School Library Task Force has completed a draft document of the school library guidelines. Comments on the proposed revisions are welcomed and encouraged from now until Dec.1, 2010. Please direct your comments via email to any of the Task Force members. All contact information and the document may be found at library.sd.gov.
School Library Data Digest is coming soon
Making its debut soon will be the 2010 School Library Data Digest, a snapshot and summary of 2009/2010 South Dakota school library statistical information gathered last spring. The Data Digest intends to reflect trends and practices of the current state of SD school libraries and could be used to inform local decision making and long-range planning. To whet your appetite, here are a few highlights from the upcoming Digest:
- 2,135,999 items were checked out in 2009/2010 by the 183 reporting school districts—public, non-public, tribal/BIE, special schools—about 18 items per student.
- 86% of students in these districts checked out at least one library item last year.
- Each week, 50% of students in reporting districts visited their school library outside organized library instruction time.
- During a typical day, these school libraries together hosted 933 class groups and circulated about 12,000 items.
- 34% of the libraries report they are open beyond the traditional school year.
Watch for the full digest!
Free Information Literacy Vodcast Series with Mike Eisenberg
Mike Eisenberg of Big6 fame is now being featured in a monthly vodcast series sponsored by ABCCLIOLive on YouTube. Each session focuses on an aspect of information literacy and is free of charge. To see the first vodcast go to www.youtube.com.